Shockwave Therapy(RSWT Melbourne, Australia)
Shockwave therapy is a new technique used for treatment of conditions such as tennis elbow, jumper’s knee, calcification of shoulder tendons (shoulder pain) and Achilles tenton pain. Conditions which are otherwise difficult to treat with conventional physiotherapy.
What happens during shockwave therapy treatment?
During Shockwave therapy, a high-intensity sound wave interacts with the tissues of the body. This leads to a cascade of beneficial effects such as neovascularisation ingrowth, reversal of chronic inflammation, stimulation of collagen and dissolution of calcium build-up.
Benefits of shockwave therapy treatment:
- Clinical studies report success rate above 75%
- Shockwave therapy has excellent cost/effectiveness ratio
- Non-invasive solution for chronic pain in your shoulder, back, heel, knee or elbow
- Shock wave therapy brings new technology with proven medical effects
- No anaesthesia required, no drugs
- No side effects
- Main fields of application: orthopaedics, rehabilitation, and sport medicine
WHAT ARE THE PHYSIOLOGICAL EFFECTS?
Shockwave is believed, and has clinically shown, to have the following effects:
1. Eliminate pain
2. Facilitate healing
3. Improve local microcirculation leading to improved tissue metabolism
4. Increase production of collagen
5. Reduce local muscle tension
6. Help dissolve calcific fibroblasts
7. Stimulate the “washing away” of Substance-P (a pain producing chemical)
ARE THERE ANY PRECAUTIONS OR CONTRAINDICATIONS TO SHOCKWAVE THERAPY?
YES. General contraindications and/or precautions include:
Cortisone injections within one month prior to the start of Shockwave treatment
Blood thinning medications such as Coumadin or Heparin
Heart or circulatory problems
Cancer in or around the treatment area
- Nerve or blood supply being too close to the site of treatment
WHAT IS THE COST OF THE TREATMENT?
Our clinic charges $50 per area treated per session for Shockwave therapy
Indications(Click for video watching)
Hypertonic muscle systems